Friday, March 23, 2007

Many Thanks to John Carlson

There's been a lot I've wanted to say about my grandmother and my family and the struggles and heartbreak that we've gone through and the heartache that my grandmother went through, but every time I try or even think about trying, everything gets jumbled up.

Luckily for me, there's John Carlson. He put pen to paper and wrote about our family in ways I only wished I could. Everything that we went through, he painstakingly documented. He's written a number or articles for his paper, The Des Moines Register, some regarding our family history and some regarding our grandmother. He even wrote an endearing and yet heartbreaking obituary when we lost our grandmother. Everything he has written has meant so much to me and to the family because he wrote what I wanted to write, said what I thought our family so desperately needed to say.

I just recently got in contact with Mr. Carlson, asking him if I could have electronic versions of everything that he wrote. I finally got to talk to him today and his answer was a resounding yes. Within hours he had handed me the most recent articles he wrote concerning my grandmother and the article he wrote concerning my uncle Loris with the promise of sending me the long article he wrote regarding the entire family.

I can not thank the man enough for his generosity and also for his passion. I'll attach the articles to the website soon so that they are readily available to read and reread. It's a special gift to have everything he's written in one place and I'm so happy I get share it with the rest of the family.

Again, thanks so much John Carlson, for the friendship you've had with my family over the years and also for this unique opportunity. I really appreciate it.

No comments: