Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The George Mark Family

In life, there a big moments and small moments. Some of those big moments happen in small ways, almost most with a whisper, that in retrospect becomes a shout.

I went to George Mark House today to drop off a quilt my mother made, the jewelry I made, and the donations I received plus the piggy bank amount.  I didn't know what to expect, but I tried to emotionally prepare myself for almost anything. When I got there, Dr. Beech was out on the patio just to the right of the building. She was surprised and completely happy to see me. Her open arms took me in with one of her patented hugs that's simultaneously strong and comforting. I showed her the contents of the box I was carrying and she took it with great enthusiasm. She sheep herded me around and made sure I got lunch and a drink. In true Dr. Beech fashion, she talked with great enthusiasm and reverence about the House and organization she believes so deeply in and works so hard for. In true Dr. Beech Fashion, she listened patiently as I recounted in my own words what George Mark House meant to me, how truly it had touched me.

She introduced me to the companion she was having lunch with, another woman who had lost her daughter in January, only a few months before I had lost Ukiah. And we talked about everything, about our experiences as mothers who'd lost children, about what George Mark meant to us, about our aspirations as writers, about life after loss, about it all, about our hopes and dreams for the future. It was such a simple meeting, it was all such a simple thing. Going to George Mark House, dropping off my donations, having a brief meeting with a woman I'd never met before, and yet it feels huge. This little adventure I had today made ripples that I think will be big waves.

The donations made ripples as well. The woman taking my donations and I talked and I told her how my donations plus the checks I was dropping off and the donations made from Piggy Banks for George Mark fundraiser made close to 700 dollars. She looked at me straight-faced and earnest and said. "That's a day for some child." We as a collective unit were able to provide one day of care for some child. We were able to provide some parent a piece of mind that their child would be cared for and watched over the same way my Ukiah was for one day. To me, that means something so monumental, I can't put it into words. I almost couldn't contain myself.

I want to be able provide as many days as possible. I want more families to have more days. I've done my part, and you can still do yours. Please donate. Give some family a day, a small sliver of a day of solace, of love, of courage, of reverence, of family. Because George Mark House is all those things and more. And it deserves to have its doors open and keep them open. You won't find an organization more thoroughly thankful and respectful of your donation.

I think I'll always be doing my part. The piggy bank is empty now, but that means it can be filled again, and again and George Mark can benefit from its contents again and again. I think this has solidified my will to do this fundraiser again. Because as Dr. Beech put it, it's not just about the money, but it's also about spreading the word, and that's huge!

No comments: