Monday, July 03, 2006

About the Blog

My name is Tylia Gardner. I've set up this blog to chronicle a project I'm starting that I've called The Mary Goedken Rosary Project. Mary Goedken was my grandmother. She was the most amazing woman I've ever met. Through the tough times she was always there, the strength in the family, the glue that held it together. In the good times, she was a light, an inspiration.

She passed away this February. It was a heartbreaking moment for all of the family. I wanted a way to eulogize her, to honor her memory. Words just haven't seemed like enough. I guess I wanted something tangible to hold onto.

My grandmother was a very religious woman. Her faith was very much a part of her identity. I think her faith was very much what gave her and our family the strength it needed to make it through the worst of times. She always had a rosary with her. Her rosary was as much a part of her identity as was her faith.

I was given the opportunity at her passing to collect some of her jewelry and beads she owned. I chose some select strands and decided that I was going to make rosaries for myself and any members of the family that want one. It's my way of honoring her and her memory.

I've set up this blog as a way notifying family members as to the project and also as a way of keeping track of requests and other ideas family members have.

How it works:

If you're family, and you want a rosary, e-mail or submit your request in the comments. If you're family and would like to participate/help/ be a part of it, e-mail me or let me know what you'd like to do. If you want to put up content on the blog, or have thought up some other way to honor her/our family, I'd love for you to help. Whatever you want to do, I'd love to hear suggestion or well, anything. Given that our family is so darned huge, it's hard to get together and connect with everyone. I'm hoping this blog and this project will be a unifying, bonding experience.

I'll be updating this blog periodically with my progress, other interesting blog posts, etc. So stay tuned.

No comments: